Examining volcanic glass from terrestrial mafic phreatomagmatic environments for microbial biosignatures, with implications for Mars astrobiological investigations.
Ph.D. Candidate in Geology (Collaborative Specialization in Planetary Science and Exploration) – Western University (2019 – present)
Dr. Mariek Schmidt, Department of Earth Sciences, Brock University
- MSc in Earth and Space Science – York University (2017 – 2019)
- BSc in Geology – Saint Mary’s University (2012 – 2016)
- 2022 – Canadian National Committee for Crystallography/International Union of Crystallography Larry Calvert Trust Fund Award
- 2021 – Queen Elizabeth II Graduate Scholarship in Science and Technology
- 2021 – Canadian Space Agency Conference Participation Grant
- 2020 – Lunar and Planetary Institute Career Development Award
- 2015 – Saint Mary’s University Faculty of Science Undergraduate Research Travel Grant
- Ryan, C.H., Schmidt, M.E., and Flemming, R.L. (2022) Global distribution of Mars-analogue, potentially habitable phreatomagmatic environments. Abstract #2722, 53rd Lunar and Planetary Science Conference, The Woodlands, TX, March 2022 [virtual].
- Ryan, C.H., Schmidt, M.E., and Flemming, R.L. (2021) Putativemicrobial ichnofossils in mafic phreatomagmatic glass from a Mars-analogue environment: Fort Rock Volcanic Field, Oregon, USA. Abstract #135784, Geological Association of Canada-Mineralogical Association 2021 Joint Annual Meeting, Western University, London, ON, November 2021.
- Catheryn H. Ryan, Michael G. Daly, Allyson L. Brady, Greg F. Slater, and Darlene S. S. Lim. (2021) Organic material distribution in Mars-analogue volcanic rocks, as determined with ultraviolet laser-induced fluorescence spectroscopy. Astrobiology,vol. 21 no. 8.
- Ryan, C.H., Schmidt, M.E., and Flemming, R.L. (2021) Putative microbial biosignatures in a Mars-analogue hydrovolcanic environment – Fort Rock Volcanic Field, Oregon. Abstract #8026, Workshop on Terrestrial Analogs for Planetary Exploration, June 2021 [virtual].Ryan, C.H., Daly, M.G., Brady, A.L., Slater, G.F., and Lim., D.S.S. (2021) Alteration-Associated Spatial Distribution of Organic Biosignatures in Mars-Analogue Volcanic Rocks. Abstract #2221, 52nd Lunar and Planetary Science Conference, The Woodlands, TX, March 2021 [virtual].
- Ryan, C.H., Daly, M.G., Brady, A.L., Slater, G.F., and Lim., D.S.S. (2021) Organic biosignature detection in Mars-analogue volcanic rocks: spatial distribution mapping with ultraviolet fluorescence instrument. 43rd Committee on Space Research Scientific Assembly, Sydney, NSW, January 2021 [virtual].
- Kathleen E. Vander Kaaden, Catheryn H. Ryan, Edgard G. Rivera-Valentín, Cynthia B. Phillips, James Haber, Justin Filiberto, and C. Adeene Denton. (2020) Creating Inclusive, Supportive, and Safe Environments in Planetary Science for Members of the LGBTQ+ Community. The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine: 2023 – 2032 Planetary Science and Astrobiology Decadal Survey [White Paper].
- Gordon R. Osinski, Melissa Battler, Christy M. Caudill, Raymond Francis, Timothy Haltigin, Victoria J. Hipkin, Mary Kerrigan, Eric Pilles, Alexandra Pontefract, Livio L. Tornabene, and the CanMars Mars Sample Return Analogue Mission team. (2019) The CanMars Mars Sample Return Analogue Mission. Planetary and Space Science, vol. 166, pp. 110 – 130.
- Matthew Bourassa, Gordon Osinski, Livio Tornabene, Peter Christoffersen, Michael Daly, Etienne Godin, Eric Pilles, Catheryn Ryan. (2018) TEMMI, a Three-dimensional Exploration Multispectral Microscope Imager for planetary exploration missions. Planetary and Space Science, vol. 165, pp. 57 – 74.
- Ryan, C.H., Daly, M.G., Brady, A.L., Slater, G.F., and Lim., D.S.S. (2018) The use of 266 nm Laser-Induced Fluorescence Spectroscopy for detection of organic biosignatures in Martian-analogue volcanic rocks. Abstract #2614, 49th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference, The Woodlands, TX, March 2018.
- Ryan, C.H., Daly, M.G., Brady, A.L., Slater, G.F., and Lim., D.S.S. (2018) The use of 266 nm Laser-Induced Fluorescence (LIF) Spectroscopy for detection of organic biomarkers in Martian-analogue volcanic rocks. 1st Women in Planetary Science and Exploration Conference, Toronto, ON, February 2018.
- Ryan, C.H., Tornabene, L.L., Cannon, K.M., Mustard, J.F., Sapers, H.M., and Osinski, G.R. (2017) Geomorphological mapping of Hargraves ejecta in the Nili Fossae Trough: Insights into impact processes at potential Mars 2020 landing site. Abstract #2861, 48th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference, The Woodlands, TX, March 2017.
- Tornabene, L., Ryan, C., Cannon, K., Mustard, J., Osinski, G., Sapers, H., Pontefract, A., and Bina, A. (2017) The Hargraves Ejecta Blanket: Opportunities for sampling diverse target and impact-related materials in the Nili Fossae Trough landing ellipse. 3rd Landing Site Workshop for the 2020 Mars Rover Mission, Monrovia, CA, February 2017.
- Ryan, C.H., Tornabene, L.L., Osinski, G.R., Cannon, K.M., Mustard, J.F., MacRae, R.A., Corney, R., Sapers, H.M. (2016) Geomorphological mapping of the Hargraves ejecta and polygonal terrain associated with the candidate Mars 2020 landing site, Nili Fossae Trough. Abstract #2524, 47th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference, The Woodlands, TX, March 2016.
- Ryan, C.H., Haid, T.M., Osinski, G.R., and Tornabene, L.L. (2016) 2015 CanMars MSR Analogue Mission: The utilization of the Three-dimensional Exploration Multispectral Microscopic Imager (TEMMI) for in situ analysis. Abstract #1991, 47th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference, The Woodlands, TX, March 2016.
- Ryan, C.H., Tornabene, L.L., MacRae, R.A., and Corney, R. (2015) Geomatics applications in planetary science: an investigation into the geological environment of the Nili Fossae region of Mars using remote sensing data and GIS. 65th Atlantic Universities Geoscience Conference, Halifax, NS, October 2015. Published in Atlantic Geology, 2015, Vol. 51, No. 1.